Monday, January 11, 2010

Homemade Vanilla

**Jason asked that I clarify my last post: we are not opposed to drinking milk, we just usually don't on a regular basis.

I recently saw a recipe in this magazine for homemade vanilla extract. If you've ever baked with me, you know that I double the vanilla in every recipe! I love vanilla!


Buy a bottle of organic vodka- the recipe said Rain & TRU are good organic brands.
They guy at the liquor store had no idea what I was looking for until I told him which brands would work.


You'll need 5-6 vanilla beans.
One vanilla bean at Whole Foods was $6!
We got 25 for $14 on Amazon.com


Next, slice them open and scrape out the seeds- put the seeds in the jar you will be making your extract in. I had no idea what vanilla seeds looked like!


Then, cut the pods into 1" pieces and add them to the jar. (I used a Mason jar)


Add the vodka.
Cover the jar with plastic wrap and then add the Mason lid & ring.
(The plastic keeps them from rusting to the jar.)
Shake.
Store in a cool dark place and shake once a week for 8 weeks.


At the end of 8 weeks the vanilla extract should be ready to use! From that point it will last indefinitely- just keep topping the jar off with more vodka and add a fresh vanilla seed every couple months to keep the flavor strong.

2 comments:

Danielle said...

I'm always impressed with the things you come up with! The pictures you took are SOOO good!

Anonymous said...

Will you post about how you like it in a few months? Thanks! Jen