Monday, November 23, 2009

Thankfulness


Note: I began this post October 20th...something that's been in the works of my mind for about a month now. Revisiting these thoughts today....Thanksgiving week.

** ALL these veggies came from a friend who had received word that a farm had been abandoned and was going to be tilled under. They were told to come and pick all they could last weekend- they ended up with over 600 lbs. of vegetables and were able to share with 23 families!


Thankful. Grateful. Gratitude. Appreciation.

Not usually a burning topic of conversation during the month of October, but weighing on my mind tonight.

I started thinking about it when in a conversation with Jason Sunday night he said, "Nobody likes to do a thankless job."

I know we should not do things out of seeking the thanks of others, but it is true that nobody likes to put a ton of effort into something (a party, a gift, or even a menial task to help someone out) and never receive acknowledgement. That can easily turn into discouragement.

Striving to live a thankful life turns away from discontentment as well. Profound, I know...however I know people who seem to prefer to live their life in a discontent manner.

Psalm 105:1 says, "Give thanks to the Lord, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done."

Some "thanks" in my life:
  • I am thankful to be happily married to Jason
  • I am thankful for the ability to read & learn
  • I am thankful for vision in my left eye
  • I am thankful for our families ~ that we get along and love one another
  • I am thankful my parents helped me get through college debt free
  • I am thankful for lots of friends. Lots and lots!
  • I am thankful my dad is still alive
  • I am thankful that God has given me the gift of creativity
  • I am thankful my parents sent me into my adulthood with a very reliable vehicle that will still last me a few more years!
  • I am thankful for a hot mug of tea~ several times a day if I'd like!
  • I am thankful for the creation of photography- the ability to physically capture a memory or point in time.
  • I am thankful that my husband is hard working
  • I am thankful for the abundance of organic vegetables in my refrigerator:











1 comment:

Ornery's Wife said...

that is amazing that someone just abandoned their farm and all their labors!! How sad to spend all that time and just leave it behind. Glad you benefited from it, though!
tm