Tuesday, May 26, 2009

On the Homefront

I am a total homebody. So is my friend Danielle. She'll often describe a friend as someone who is always on the go with their kiddos (like MckMama), but that she treasures her time spent at home with her little one.

I can totally relate. I am so grateful that I do not work full time (or really even part time!) and thatI get to spend a great deal of time learning the ways of homemakeing. I enjoy cooking meals and freezing them for those long tiring days that I do work, (Except last week at the end of "pop day" we went to the brand new Hideaway Pizza that is by our warehouse/shop!! I love love love their Chicken Florentine Pizza!) or having our paperwork completely all caught up, or reading to learn more about a certain subject, or maintaining the never ending pile of laundry and dishes. I love what some women think to be entirely mundane. 

Homemaking really rang true to me when I read For the Family's Sake earlier this year. It talks extensivly about cultivating your routine and home environment for your family. I may not have children yet, but our home life is important to Jason and I. A strong homelife is vital to his well being. He thrives off of being cared for- meals made daily, laundry clean and an organized/peaceful environment to come home to at the end of a long day. A mentor friend of ours (who is also a a homemaker to a business owner) told me once, "We take good care of them on the homefront and they in turn take good care of us by providing for our family" That is definitely a defining statement of our home. 

I have a handful of friends who are on the other end of the child phase- empty nesters. Several of which have struggled with the pressures of today's society to go get a job because they are no longer raising children on a daily basis. I have really tried to encourage them that they need not have a job to define who they are. I know they have hobbies, interests, family or volunteering opportunities - that they in no way are sitting around at home all day wondering what to do...I know I sure don't have that problem. :) 

Some days I struggle to find the motivation to get everything done on my to-do list and I'll spend a couple hours reading online. But then I have to remind myself that often I am learning from a blog or a website not just being entertained by what I take in. I have to find balance in my task oriented personality. 

I love my home and am so, so grateful my husband places the same (if not more!) value on it that I do! 

3 comments:

Emilie said...

I'm a total homebody, too. I really enjoy spending time at home, especially with a little one at home again.

LB said...

I am so very excited about the possibility of giving my home the energy it deserves and making it that atmosphere of love and order that I want to be a reflection of our family.

Just ask Jason...last time he came over, my kitchen was in shambles.

Oh, and I can't wait to fill my home with kiddos. Except, I really can. You know what I mean!

Ornery's Wife said...

Excellent reminder that we don't have to earn money in the workplace to bring value to those we come in contact with. I think it is great that you have chosen the homemaker role for your life mission--it is a noble profession--the oldest in the world! tm