Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Andrea Caters!!

It's been a busy couple of days since Saturday and I haven't had time to post about my first catering gig...so here goes! 

A friend of ours, Dawn, emailed me last Monday and told me she had bitten off more than she could chew in doing her husband's graduation party coming up on Saturday. With 5 kids and one on the way she just didn't have the time and energy to get done what she had hoped to do~ so she wanted to know very last minute if I would like a catering gig. I didn't have anything truly pressing last week so I said yes! We talked through the menu- she wanted all finger foods, she already had the cake ordered and punch ingredients, and I did all the rest! I grocery shopped once on Thursday and once on Friday and then did most of the prep work in my [itty bitty little] kitchen on Friday afternoon. Oh and did I mention that Kurt & Dawn live 2 hours away in Jason's hometown!?
After I cut up the strawberries for the chocolate fountain I let Finnigan play with the strawberry carton. He had a ball and then promptly fell asleep on top of it! He's so cute, I couldn't leave him out of this post! 

We arrived in Arkansas about 9:15am- unpacked the coolers and my trusty better bags and I got to work finishing up the two salsas since they are best really fresh. 

Here's the full view right before the graduation open house started at 2pm

I borrowed a chocolate fountain from a friend-I cut a 100 pack of skewers in half so people could dip their goodies into the running chocolate.  There were strawberries, bananas, marshmallows, pretzel sticks, pineapples and graham crackers for dipping. This was the highlight of the party- especially for all the kids there !

I made my dad's salsa & avocado salsa
Dad's Salsa:
9-11 on the vine tomatoes, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1-2 jalapenos, seeded, finely chopped
1 tsp. garlic, minced
1/2 white onion or 1 small white onion, diced
2 handfuls of cilantro, stems cut off & chopped
salt
Combine all in salsa maker or food processor to the consistency you like. Taste often with tortilla chips until you get the flavor and kick you want!


Cheeseball
1 pkg. plain cream cheese(8 oz.)
1 carton chive cream cheese (8 oz.)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. celery salt
2 pkgs. smoked beef lunch meat finely chopped (3 oz. each)
Combine all but one pkg. lunch meat, form a ball then press remaining lunch mean on the outside. Wrap in waxed paper to store in fridge. Serve with fancy crackers. 


Spinach Dip
1 pkg. plain cream cheese (8 oz.)
1 pkg. frozen spinach, defrosted and well drained
1/4 c. half & half
1/4 c. onions, chopped
1 lg. can petite tomatoes, well drained
3 c. mozzarella cheese, shredded
salt
Mix everything together, put in a 9x13 dish and bake for 30 mins. on 350F

Punch
1 frozen orange juice concentrate
1 lg. can pineapple juice
1 two liter ginger ale

Bruschetta
1 pkg. french bread (twin loaves)
8 Roma tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp. dried basil
3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
3 T. olive oil
3/4 tsp. salt
Mix together (all but bread) and put in fridge for at least 2 hours so the flavors blend. When ready to serve, slice the French bread into 1/2" slices. Lightly brush olive oil on one side and broil the slices in the oven for about 2-3 mins., watch carefully to not burn. Take the bread out, flip it over and broil for one more minute. Serve with bread on a platter and tomato mixture in a bowl to the side. (Don't pre make or the bread will get soggy.)


Dawn's 3rd child, Andrew, thoroughly enjoying the chocolate fountain! Note: pretty much all the kids looked like this at some point durning the party!


Kurt & Dawn- thank you so much for asking me to cater your party! 
And congratulations on your Master's degree, Kurt

2 comments:

Ornery's Wife said...

What a great friend you are! Looks like you did a great job, too. Hope your chocolate fountain was easier to clean up than the one at the wedding, though. Wow, what a mess!
tm

Cinnamon said...

I peeked over from Mtn Mama's blog. I love your Avacado Salsa. It looks delicious! I am going to have to try that SOON :-)
And that yummy punch!! Such great ideas. Thanks for sharing.

~Cinnamon