Thursday, December 18, 2008

A Glimpse

Yesterady I had a glimpse of motherhood.

As I begged an pleaded with a 7 month old baby to go to sleep again at 2:30 in the morning, I thought to myself, "I am SO not ready for this." Honestly though, would anybody say they would be ready to give up sleep at odd hours every night? Probably not. But anyways...

Tuesday night my dear friend who is fostering "little guy" that I babysit from time to time called me in desperation. Her husband was out of town and she was not feeling well at all. It was about 5pm, I was on the way to the bank, so I just told her I would head over to her house after that. I called Jason and told him what was up, he suggested I just go ahead and spend the night at their house since the roads would just be getting icier as the night got colder. She went to bed as soon as I got there, I told her to get a good night's sleep since I would be spending the night. The baby went to sleep at 8 and did really well until 12:30am...then he was WIDE awake until 2:30am. I gave him a bottle, rocked him, sang to him...nothing. Finally I put him in bed with me and hummed to him for probably 30 minutes and he was asleep....meanwhile I had to wake up at 4am and check on Tanya. Her husband told me if I knew by 4am how she was doing he could catch a 6am flight home if needed...she told me she was feeling alot better. Her husband still decided to come on home. Good thing, she was not fine this morning, even after sleeping 15 hours (6pm-9am!) I came home and took a nice long nap....after telling Jason I am not ready  for motherhood just yet!

3 comments:

~Bren~ said...

Ooooh, I hope your friend is feeling better. Naps and new motherhood go hand in hand. I had some of the BEST moments with my babies in the middle of the night!!!

Mountain Mama said...

Middle of the nights with babies can be exhausting but it is my most absolute favorite time with a new babe. The stillness, the quiet, the warmth, the cuddle and the smell of a newborn!! Ahhh.
And then a nice long nap the next day.

Florida huh? Where are you going? Family? Enjoy!

Mountain Mama said...

This comment has nothing to do with this post.

Florida! Way to be a martyr and "suffer" for the family. Have fun. Enjoy the travel time with grandparents - they are special. And then enjoy your time with hubby. And don't eat too much!!!

On another note, I love that you desire to be a homemaker. Learning all that you can before you are blessed with little ones. Whatever you don't learn, you will learn along the way or just do without.

Happy Monday!
ashley