Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Our 2nd Wedding Anniversary!!

*love him*


December 26th, 2004

I was in the middle of my sophomore year of college, so I was part of the YAP (young adults pursuing...____) group at church. One of our associate pastors was leading a small group of us down to Juarez, Mexico to build a house with Casas por Cristo between Christmas and New Years.

I arrived at church at 6am the day after Christmas 2004. I remember I was wearing some pajama pants (we would be riding/sleeping in a van ALL day) and my winter coat- nothing very attractive at all! I was standing in the hall right inside the door, I had already loaded my stuff in the church van and was waiting for everyone to all get there. There was this other guy waiting there too. Now, I've gone to our church since I was born so there really weren't very many people I didn't know, however I only knew the name [Jason] of this guy waiting there by me. I didn't really know anything else about him, but I was in college and single at the time so my antenna were up so to say. I stuck my hand out and introduced myself to him. (I figured it would be good if he knew my name too ;) We proceeded to load into two vans, I got in the one with all my friends and he got into the other one.

The next day we spent working a full day doing construction.We came back to our host church very exhausted from all the physical labor we did. I remember shoveling two whole pile of rocks and sand into buckets with my friend, Diana. (That was our part of the concrete mixing for the foundation.) Now that I think about it, I have been the sand shoveler on all three Casas trips I've been on!

Jason told me later he had his eye on me, he was impressed I got right in there an shoveled both those big piles all day. :)

After dinner we just hung out playing board games and talking. Jason was over on his sleeping bag, laying on this stomach reading a book. I don't remember what I was doing, but I was a little ways over on my air mattress- probably talking to one of the other girls. I turned my attention over to him and asked him what he was reading. "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People." He asked if I'd read it, nope. ....talked a little more about books and then he asked me, "Have you ever read, 'Rich Dad, Poor Dad?'" ...."Actually my parents bought it on audio and we listened to it once on a car trip, I remember it." [His ears perked up at this point] "Really, I've never met a girl whose even heard of it before!!" Our conversation continued, what are you doing/what do you want to do with your life kind of questions. He told me, "I really want to own my own business, I don't want to spend the rest of my life working for someone else." At this point my jaw dropped I think. Ask my parents how many times I had said those exact same words in high school!! My mind started going crazy at that point, "I've got to know this guy better!!"

Meanwhile during this whole trip (I think there were only eleven of us on this particular trip) one of the other guys, also named Jason (married though) caught on to Jason and and I real quick. He was always giving us a hard time, trying to make it all awkward and such! He still gives us a hard time about flirting and whatnot on that trip! But it's ok, by now you've figured out I married that Jason I met "in Mexico!" (We really do like to tell people we met in Mexico, it just sounds cool!)

As I look back on that time today, so much was the hand of God on our lives. :) I had been single for close to a year at that point, really content just waiting on God's timing. I honestly wasn't really looking hard for another relationship. (I was not oblivious to my surroundings though!)

His story is even cooler. :) He had just sold a house he had remodeled in Arkansas, had some money and was thinking about moving to Dallas. He had even already gone down to Dallas to acquaint himself with the city. He took a week visit to Tulsa somewhere in there and stayed with his aunt and uncle who live here. He visited our church that Sunday with his other uncle who attends there. That Sunday he came the Casas trip was announced, any young adult who wanted to go still could. He signed up. He figured he would enjoy a construction trip and even if he was going to move to Dallas he could still come on it!! He ended up moving to Tulsa, and we were married a year and a half later on October 14, 2006.

I love you Jason! Thank you for being my best friend! Happy 2nd Anniversary!

2004, Casas por Cristo trip.
Jason is the really tall guy in the blue in the back. I'm the really small girl in the blue pants in the front. Did I fail to mention he is 6'5" and I am 5"...that is 17 inches! I always wanted to marry a tall man!


2005- Arkansas
This was the photo on the front of our wedding program.


2006
We're MARRIED!!!


2007 -Chimney Rock Lake
(self portrait!) This was our Christmas picture we sent out last year.


2008
At my cousin Robert & Sarah's wedding. Really Jason does not wear a tie as often as this blog might portray he does! haha!

4 comments:

~Bren~ said...

Awwwww. Happy Anniversary! 2 years...I loved 2 years. It was still just Sweetheart and me. We had our first baby just before our 3rd anniversary....now it has been more than 29 years. I KNOW!!!! You are younger than my kids!!!!
Praying for you to have many more wonderful anniversaries!!!!

Andrea Cherie said...

Thanks Bren!!

Ornery's Wife said...

I was delighted to find your comment on my blog! I will spend some time reading and catching up on your life!

Happy anniversary--doesn't seem possible it has been two years! I miss seeing you now that we are going to a different church and I am not working at the scrapbook store.
tm

Oh, and I have wondered about the milk at Swan's dairy, just never have made the trek over there to get it. Maybe we could trade off driving over and save each other a trip!

motherofmany said...

What a beautiful couple! And a blessed story. Chivalry is not dead when we follow the Maker's plan.