Wednesday, October 29, 2008

"I will rufuse to look at anything vile and vulgar." Ps 101:3

I saw this note posted by a friend on Facebook this morning

She titled her note, "Hmmm..."

"According to MTV News, theaters "all over the country" hosted Saw marathons to mark the arrival of the fifth entry in the torture/horror franchise. MTV sent two female interns to sit through the 10 hours of Saw and to record their observations. "The doctor begins to saw his foot off," Kristen Freethy writes during the first movie. "Meanwhile, I'm thinking I have eight more hours of Saw movies." During Saw II, Summer Barry notes, "An hour into the movie, I am finding myself bored. The sequel isn't keeping me on my toes quite as much, and the novelty of blood is wearing off." A few hours later, she says, "Saw IV opens with an autopsy of a naked Jigsaw [the franchise's torture-inflicting mastermind]. ... They rip his face off, then cut him open—I assume they're going for shock value here. Oddly, I discover it's not working on me. I suddenly realize I'm becoming immune to blood, gore and torture. This can't be good." As the fifth installment rolls, Barry says, "The movie opens with a guy being chopped in half. This does not surprise me, but what does surprise me is that the theater erupts with cheers. The question goes from 'What have I become?' to 'Who are these people I'm surrounded by?'" [mtv.com, 10/24/08] "


One other girl responded with a quote by Susanna Wesley, "Whatever weakens your reason, whatever impairs the tenderness of your conscience, whatever obscures your sense of God, whatever increases the authority of your body over your mind, whatever takes away from your relish for spiritual things, that to you is sin, no matter how innocent it is in itself.

My response:
Last year I wrote a letter to a younger friend going on a "search retreat" with her catholic school. On the last day they get encouraging letters from friends and I remembered writing something about this topic in there, so I found it on my computer:


Limit what you put in to your heart and mind:
Our society has a serious amount of garbage everywhere. And it’s all yours for the taking if you’d like. It takes a serious amount of discipline to not fill your heart and mind with worldly images, mentalities, relationships and attitudes. But last time I checked God is pretty pro-self-discipline.
  • Proverbs 15: 32, “He who ignores discipline despises himself, but whoever heeds correction gains understanding.”
  • Proverbs 12:1, “Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid.”
I also like this verse a lot; it really sums up how we should react to our society of “who are you to tell me what’s wrong or right for my life?”
  • I Corinthians 10:23 & 24, "Everything is permissible"—but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible"—but not everything is constructive. Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others.”

1 comment:

Lorrie Briggs said...

Thank you for visiting Mommy Stays Home. You have such a sweet blog and I love this post.
I noticed you are reading The Maker's Diet. I love that book. It has really helped my husband understand the reason why I cook the way I do. I have always been a healthy but, but my husband never was. Since I have helped him with his diet and he started running he has lost 60 pounds. He even ran a marathon last spring. It is amazing how the Lord designed our bodies to work correctly when we eat the foods He designed.
I agree with you we do share a lot of the same views.
I hope you will return to Mommy Stays Home.