Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Trip to Morrilton

Monday morning we left Tulsa around 7 and drove to Morrilton, AR. It turned out to be a little less than 4 hours on a beautiful stretch of I-40.

Jason's great-aunt, Athlene passed away in her sleep on Friday, September 26th at age 94. I met Athlene three times in the four years I've known Jason- she came to our wedding two years ago, and then three months later for my in-laws 25th anniversary celebration and again in 2007 for Bob, my father-in-law's 50th birthday party. I did not really realize this until the service on Monday that Bob was her closest surviving relative. She never had any children with her husband, and her sister (Jason's grandma) only had one child, Bob. It was probably the most light hearted and uplifting funeral I've ever been to, rightly so, she lived a long full Christian life! The pastor went on and on about what a dedicated Christian lady she was! He said, "This is not one of those funerals where I have never met the deceased, or barely knew them. I have known Athelene for many, many years and could not be happier to rejoice knowing full heartedly that she is with our Savior Christ in Heaven!"

She was listed in the program as having been a "beauty operator." I had never heard that term before, the pastor used "hairdresser" instead.
She certainly was a young beauty!!


Bob & Aunt Athlene, Septemeber 2007
All the people at her church and other friends kept calling Bob, "Bobby." I had not ever once heard my father-in-law call that!!



Afterward we took the opportunity while we were all dressed-up to take some family photos in her backyard.
Bob, Kevin, Diane, Jason, me, & Michelle

Jason & I
(I'm standing on a bucket...)


Bob & Diane

Jason, me, Michelle & Kevin

Me with my sister-in-law, Michelle


I got the binding hand sewn down on two Royal Family Kids Camp Quilts- one on the way there and one on the way home! Yay! I was glad about that accomplishment!


We came home with a gorgeous fall mum!
In the afternoon Bob and several other relatives went through all her drawers of old family photos and divided them up. I asked about cookbooks and was told to take whatever I found- I count myself very fortunate to have received her recipe boxes and many hand written recipes! I am told she was a great cook!

3 comments:

flycatcherjoe said...

you might want to check out www.thedigitalconvert.com . they are a photo & album scanning service that helps you share old photos with scattered family members. once photos are in digital format, sharing is a cinch. most people simply don't have the time to scan hundreds of pictures on a slow flatbed.

all those pics can be scanned, burned to disc and uploaded to a secure family webpage before you know it. why bother making reprints all the time or set out on a huge scanning project you know you'll never finish on your own.

LB said...

you are so beautiful!

~Bren~ said...

I am sorry about your family's loss, though 94...I am ready to go home!!! And to pass in your sleep...what a blessing from a loving God.
I would love to see more of your quilting. Have you posted pics here in the past. Your labels only have 1 quilt post, so I guessed not. Let show and tell!!!